The Friary of Valletta is found in
the main street of the City. It was established in 1598. In evidence
we have a letter to the Minister General M.R. Fr. Phillip Gesualdi by the Grand Master of that time: Martin Garzes.
(cfr. Giuliana del convento dei frati minori conventuali di san Fracesco
di questa citta eretto nel 1598).
Founder of the Friary is the Most Rev. Fr. Daniel La Greca
from Nicosia in Sicily.
friars entered Valletta since the beginning of the city. In 1567 the Grand
Master of the Knights' Order gave a piece of land to our ancestors in a
place knows as: "dekke forbici" (scissors deck) today known as "Due
Balli". After some time the friars had to abandon the place because of the
Later on the Grandmaster Carzes gave them another piece of
land at the place where the friary stands today.
The first friary had an entrance in Strait Street and today
it holds the Provincial Curia.
The Church was built between 1600 and 1604. It is dedicated to St. Francis
receiving the stigmata, which feast is celebrated on the 17 of September.
The paintings in the Church are by Guseppe Cali. In 1613, the friary begun
hosting the Collegio Sant Antonio. In 1637 the M.R. Fr Phillip Cagliola
OFM Conv founded a Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary in
our church. The aim of the confraternity is to promote the teaching of the
blessed Giovanni duns Scotus, and act charitably towards the needy. The
Confraternity still exists today.
The friars are known
for their renowned life and service. They are sought for confessions,
spiritual direction and preaching from various parishes.
St. Francis Friary is very much sought for confessions.
7.00am, 7.25am, 8.00am, 10.00am,
7.00am, 8.00am, 10.00am,
5.15pm (winter), 5.30pm (summer), 6.30pm (winter)
Sunday: 7.00am, 8.00am, 9.30am, 10.00am,