Fr. Jacob de Leo Provincial Minister of the Sicilian Province established in 1492 the Friary at the outskirts of Rabat, the capital city of Gozo.
1492: the friars were entrusted with the Chapel of St. Mark "in contrada San Giacomo", Rabat, by the bishop of Malta Mgr. Paolo de la Cavaleria. A cemetry of noble people existed in front of the same chapel and a cross made of stone marked the boundry of the said cemetry. The friars dwelt in some big caves that existed along the falls of the compound. In 1535 the titular of the chapel was changed to that of St. Francis.
Throughout the five hundred years people from all walks of life sought the services of the friars. A wooden statue of St. Isidore exist in the church since 1680. In 1698 a wooden statue of Mary Immaculate was used in the procession. In 1663 a Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary was founded in the church to help the organisation of the feast of  Mary Immaculate. The Conraternity still exists today.
The friars are sought for their renowned life and service. They are sought for preaching from various parishes. Several friars taught seminarians and at the Faculty of theology at the University of Malta. Several others gave solid contribution in the government of the Province.
 
Masses time-table...


Weekdays:
7.00am, 7.30am, 6.30pm

Saturday: 7.00am, 7.30am, 6.30pm

Sunday: 6.30am, 7.30am, 8.30am, 9.30am

Contact us...
 
St. Francis Friary
St. Francis Square
Victoria - Gozo
MALTA
Tel: (+356) 21556089 Fax: (+356) 21562528


Communities