Since 1905, Burmarrad became dependent of St. Paul's Bay Parish Church and
therefore where under the guidance of our confreres who became established
in St. Paul’s Bay. The people of Burmarrad were insisting to have regular
and daily Mass in their locality. The Bishop was insisting that they were
being served at St. Paul Milqghi Chapel on Sundays and feast days.
Archbishop Monsignor Michael Gonzi consecrated the Church on the 30th
of May 1964. In this Church we find three main altars: one main altar
(Major) upon which we find the painting by the artist Envyn Cremona which
represent Our Lady with Saint Luke and Saint Paul, together with Saint
Francis and Saint Maximilian Kolbe.
In the main
altar the remains (bones) of Saint Grato and Saint Giocondo are embedded.
The other two altars are dedicated, one to Saints Paul and Publius, and
the other to Saint Anthony of Padua, also paintings of Envin Cremona.
In 1937, the doctrine MUSEUM formed its first classes. In 1947 there
existed about three hundred christians in 65 families.
They were insisting with the parish priest to seek permission to have Mass
at an old chapel which was more nearer to their houses. The chapel was
abandoned for long time and it was in a very bad state. After many hard
discussions, in 1955 permission was granted. The friars with the help of
the local people began to put it in order. When the friars saw the
enthusiasm of the people they decided to build a new one.
the 17th of February 1957 the Provincial M.R. Fr. Provincial
Pius Mamo OFM Conv blessed the "Corner Stone", and Fr Dominic Bonello OFM
Conv. with Br. Philip Grima OFM Conv. were entrusted with the new project.
On the 16th of March 1958, the M.R. Fr. Seraphim Galea OFM Conv, the
parish priest celebrated the first Mass. Then on the 30th of
April 1960 the M.R.Fr. Provincial Louis Caruana OFM Conv opened and
blessed the new church. But the first community was formed only after the
friary was constructed. Fr. Augustine Magro OFM Conv became the first
superior of the first community.
The friars are sought for their renowned life and service.
They are sought for preaching from various parishes, teach at the Faculty
of theology at the University of Malta. Others gave contribution in the
Weekdays: 5.30am, 6.15am,
6.15pm (winter), 7.00pm (summer)
5.30am, 6.15am, 6.15pm (winter), 7.00pm (summer)
Sunday: 5.30am, 7.30am, 9.00am