11th June 1940: the first bombs of World War II hit Malta. The friars of the Valletta community were exhorted to leave the capital. They found refuge in Birkirkara in a house called "Villa Maria" in Msida street, donated to them by Joseph Pace. The convent of Valletta was shortly after damaged by the war and the friars delayed in returning. In the meantime they remained in Birkirkara for three and a half years having contacts with people and doing some pastoral work.
In 1944 they left the "refugee place" and moved back to Valletta. But the people, who got used to the friars, protested against this change and wanted that the community remains at Birkirkara. The provincial of that time, Fr. Saviour Tabone, in accordance to this wish decided to form a small community in the town. Fr. Seraphim Fenech was elected guardian and together with Fr. Hilary Dimech, Fr. Augustine Magro e Fr. Pacifico Zammit constituted the first community of B’Kara. In this way the community was born in Birkirkara, which today is the largest town of Malta counting over 25.000 people. 
Shortly after a garage was used as a provisional church and a new convent began to be built. In 1945 the community left "Villa Maria" and entered the new small convent. Two years later the Provincial Chapter decided to buy the land site near the garage for the construction of the church and the convent. Today the convent is accompanied by a beautiful church dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi. In this locality an extensive pastoral work is carried on by the friars. In the last Sunday of May a devotional feast in honour to Saint Anthony of Padua takes place.

 

 
Masses time-table...

Weekdays: 6.30am, 7.30am, 6.30pm

Saturday: 6.30am, 7.30am, 6.30pm

Sunday: 6.30am, 8.00am, 9.30am, 11.00am, 6.30pm

 
Contact us...
 

St. Francis Friary
Msida Street
Birkirkara
MALTA
Tel: (+356) 21446465 / 21441928

Communities